The 4th “LINUS LERNER” INTERNATIONAL VOICE COMPETITION will take place from July 6 to 8, 2019.
It is the sole responsibility of the contestant to ensure that his application complies with these regulations. By submitting your application for participation, the contestant declares that he has read and understood the rules of participation and undertakes to comply with what is described in this document. Any infraction of the regulation will cause its disqualification from the competition.
Professional singers, semi-professionals or voice students of any nationality who meet the following requirements:
- Women: Whose date of birth is between July 5, 1985 and July 5, 2001 (age 18-33)
- Men: Whose date of birth is between July 5, 1983 and July 5, 2001 (age 18-35)
NOTE: The Organizing Committee will not make any exception to the age limits of the call.
- First place “Dorothy Vanek PRIZE” – $ 3,000.00 USD (three thousand US dollars)
- Second place “Larry Leung PRIZE” – $ 2,000.00 USD (two thousand US dollars)
- Third place “Irving and Ruth Olson PRIZE” – $ 1,000.00 USD (one thousand US dollars)
- Youth Revelation “Tim Secomb PRIZE” – $ 1,000.00 USD (one thousand US dollars)
- Honorable Mention “Carolyn and Michael Stelman PRIZE” – $ 1,000.00 USD (one thousand US dollars)
- San Luis Opera Award “Bill Faris PRIZE” – $ 1,000.00 USD (one thousand US dollars
- Audience Award “Pro-Opera PRIZE” – $ 1,000.00 USD (one thousand US dollars)
- “Maestro Linus Lerner” Award – Participation in a concert with the Rio Grande do Norte Symphony Orchestra (OSRN) in Natal, Brazil, with the expenses paid and a fee of $ 500.00 USD (five hundred US dollars).
- “SASO” Award – Participation in a concert with the Southern Arizona Symphony Orchestra (SASO) in Tucson, USA with paid expenses and fees between $ 250.00 USD (two hundred US dollars) and $ 500 USD (five hundred US dollars) depending on the number of winners.
- Award “Instituto Cultural Mexicano de Tucson (ICMT)” – $ 300.00 USD (three hundred US dollars).
- “Fred Fox – Music School – University of Arizona” Award – one week of residence for up to 5 students with the right to classes, master classes, recitals with a pianist and a private audition at the University of Arizona that includes transportation and lodging.
NOTE: A RECOGNITION will be given to all the contestants and the place obtained will be specified. The Organizing Committee reserves the right to add or remove prizes in this call.
STAGES OF THE COMPETITION
- PRESELECTION April 26 to May 5, 2019, deadline for submission (YouTube link, not edited).
- ELIMINATORIES July 6, 2019 (with piano).
- SEMIFINAL July 7, 2019 (with piano).
- FINAL July 8, 2019 (with piano).
- WINNERS GALA CONCERT : July 10, 2019 (with orchestra).
NOTE: The eliminatory, semifinal and final will be held in the music area of the Arts Center of San Luis Potosí.
DOCUMENTATION TO SEND AND REGISTRATION
Applicants must submit the following documentation:
- Complete Application Form available on the website: www.operasanluis.com/2019/en/form
- Official identification document of your country (IFE / INE) or passport, which will be presented at the time of the first round with a copy. The Organizing Committee of the Contest may request in any of the stages the original documents and / or official identification to compare the information provided and be able to deliver the prizes.
- Curriculum according to the online questionnaire available on the website.Link to the website (YouTube). Send two to three repertoire opera arias where you show your skills in different languages. These recordings will be used in the PRE-SELECTION stage of the contest. The repertoire will be freely chosen. The candidate will be responsible for the quality and authenticity of the documents provided. The video should not be edited.
NOTE: No application will be admitted INCOMPLETE, all requested documentation must be submitted through the website.
REGISTRATION AND GENERAL RULES OF THE COMPETITION
Those selected to participate will be informed of their acceptance to the Contest no later than May 20, 2018, afterwards, they must send all the required documentation no later than the day of the registration deadline, which will be on May 31st 2019. Once the registration of the singer selected by the Organizing Committee has been accepted, no change will be allowed in the musical program to be presented and proposed for evaluation in the contest.
- The registration of the candidate for the Contest is free and presupposes the acceptance of these regulations, as well as the provisions of the qualifying Jury.
- Candidates must specify on the registration form the title and composer of the works to be performed in the competition stages, which must consist of at least:
- 3 opera arias
- 1 aria oratorio
- 1 aria of operetta or 1 romanza de zarzuela
- 1 Lied or concert song
- All works must be interpreted by memory in their original language and tonality.
- The selected contestants will not be able to modify the presented program, except by express request of the Organizing Committee of the Competition.
- Participants must indicate on the registration form their voice range: soprano, mezzo-soprano, contralto, countertenor, tenor, baritone, bass-baritone or bass
- The works can be presented in the following languages: German, Spanish, French, English, Italian, Latin, Czech or Russian.
- Contestants must select works by at least three composers and three different languages. Mandatory presentation of at least one work in Italian.
- The contestant may interpret the works within each tie in the order of his/her choice
- The works presented in an eliminatory round cannot be re-sung in the subsequent stages of the Competition, except when the Jury asks the participant to repeat any of them.
- For the first round in San Luis Potosí the contestants must bring six sets of bound photocopies for the use of the jury with ALL WORKS to be presented in the contest ORDERLY alphabetically by the composer’s surname. On the cover will appear the name of the contestant and position.
- One of the sets will be for the accompanying pianist (the participant is requested that the photocopies are of sufficient quality and loose sheets will not be accepted). Failure to bring them in will automatically disqualify the contestant.
- Once accepted as a participant in the pre-selection, the contestant will send the repertoire list specifying the duration of each work in minutes and seconds in parentheses together with the title of the work.
- The performance of the singers in each round will have a time limit of 3 minutes (preliminary), 5 minutes (semifinal) and 8 minutes (final). Once these limits have been exceeded, the jury will have the right to ask the singer to suppress part of the presented program. It is recommended that the singer does not exceed the established limits.
- Under no circumstances will works that do not comply with the program sent to the Competition be accepted.
- It is the exclusive responsibility of the contestant to ensure that the presented repertoire complies with these rules
PARTICIPATION OF THE JURY
- The Jury will announce, at the end of each round, the names of the participants that will go on to the next stage.
- The Jury will be composed of renowned personalities in the musical and opera field.
- If any member of the Jury is or has been a singing teacher of a contestant, he / she will not be able to participate in the voting corresponding to said participant.
- The prize for Youth Revelation can only be awarded to the finalist whose maximum age is 23 years old on the date of opening of the Contest
- When the selection is unanimously stated
- The judgments issued by the Jury will be considered unappealable in case of controversy in the verdict, the Contest board will cast a quality vote.
- The designation of the Prizes of the Contest will be absolute attribution of the Jury, which also reserves the right to annulate or share any of the prizes established in the call.
- The jury reserves the right to increase the number of participants in the Gala Concert of the winners if it suits the programming of the repertoire and the musical program.
OBLIGATIONS OF THE COMPETITORS
- It will be mandatory for all the contestants holding a Prize, participate in the Gala Concert of the winners of the contest on July 10, 2019 that will be performed with the accompaniment of the Festival Orchestra or piano, according to the repertoire that determined and the criteria of the Organizing Committee, in case the winning singer does not show up for said event, the prize or prizes to the contestant will be canceled.
- The contestants selected by the Jury and the Organizing Committee to participate in the Gala concert of the winners must present themselves to the event with formal attire.
RIGHTS OF THE COMPETITORS
- The order of presentation of the singers in each round will be chosen in the form of a draw, 2 hours before the start of the program in the presence of a representative of the Organizing Committee.
- The Organizing Committee will make available to the contestants an accompanying pianist. Each contestant will be entitled to one rehearsal before each round.·
- If they wish, the contestants will be able to attend the competition with their own pianist, but they will have to take care of the expenses that such participation implies.
- The artistic director of the Competition and Festival will decide, together with the winners, the repertoire to perform at Winners Concert Gala.
OF THE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
- The Organizing Committee has the obligation to inform in advance to all the contestants their acceptance or elimination in the contest and the Jury on any action that may contribute to improve their participation in the event, likewise, to notify any abnormality or adverse situation that may prejudice the development of the Contest and / or the Festival.
- The Organizing Committee reserves the right of recording, reproduction of total or partial diffusion of each of the events of the compeition (eliminatory and gala concert of the winners of the Festival), material that will be used for diffusion purposes and promotion of the Festival and Competition, not for profit.
Note: The Organizing Committee reserves the right to cancel the participation and / or permanence of any contestan in case of incurring in an inappropriate behavior that alters and / or harms the development of the Festival. All participants VOLUNTARILY ACCEPT that it is their responsibility to contract national or international medical insurance and disclaim the Festival of all civil or criminal liability and its organizers about accidents, terrorism or natural catastrophes that may occur during its programming and events.
OF THE CALL AND ACCEPTANCE OF ITS CONTENT
- This call for proposals has been drafted and approved by the Organizing Committee in the city of San Luis Potosí on the 14th day of the month of April 2019 for informative purposes and the dissemination of the event. It is declared that there is no intent or omission in its content or scope, given that the event’s objective is the development of art, education and culture. The Festival and the Competition are events promoted by the State Government through the Ministry of Culture of the aforementioned state and its owner. In case of controversy or conflict, the participants, the board of directors and the Organizing Committee will submit to the jurisdiction of the Superior Court of Justice of Mexico and the State of San Luis Potosí.